1. Dear Guest, after 14 years the Kramer Forum has migrated to archive-only mode (no new posts) as of August 2016.
    A heartfelt THANK YOU to all the KF members and brothers over the last decade-plus.
    Find myself and the original KF crew at the Kramer Forum & Friends Facebook Group.

MusicYo 1984 vs recent 1984

Discussion in 'Kramer by Gibson' started by Tuborgmann, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Tuborgmann

Tuborgmann Kramer Maniac

Is the headstock shape and size the same on the MusicYo 1984 and the recent Gibson the 84?

2. _xxx_

_xxx_ Kramer Kingpin

Visually they're the same. Regarding materials and parts, totally different.

3. Tuborgmann

Tuborgmann Kramer Maniac

Thanks, i thought the headstock looked a bit smaller on the Yo but i think youre right. I just got a MusicYo 1984 yesterday and i really like it, chunky neck, german floyd, schaller tuners. This one has a bareknuckle holy diver installed which suounds great also. Body is alder right? and maple on the newer ones.

4. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Kramer Master

Yep. And the guitar they are modeled after has a thin, unfinished neck with a lightweight poplar body. :)

5. _xxx_

_xxx_ Kramer Kingpin

The Yo body was alder and at least the one I had was top-notch quality, real tonewood. I loved the tone and being a Strat guy, alder was perfect for me.

The missing neck pickup made me sell it, but I do regret it a bit now. Especially since the prices went so totally bonkers... see these greedy b-tards here, an extreme example of such:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kramer-1984-...A-NEW-NOS-very-rare-baretta-evh-/351794853645

I both bought and sold mine for 400 EUR back then... incl. case.

6. Tuborgmann

Tuborgmann Kramer Maniac

Yes i know. Alder and Poplar are not that different though, poplar being a bit brighter mabe. You could always shave and sand the neck if a thinner neck is preferred.

7. Tuborgmann

Tuborgmann Kramer Maniac

I am really digging the tone on this one as well. I paid about 500£ for it with case and BN Holy Diver installed + the original pup.

8. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Kramer Master

This saying has been around for longer than I've been alive! Alder is denser and brighter. Poplar is closer to basswood but actually has mids.

9. Tuborgmann

Tuborgmann Kramer Maniac

Actually i meant to write lighter :/

10. _xxx_

_xxx_ Kramer Kingpin

Then there is alder and alder... I prefer the yellow-ish kind used in Fenders, which is to me THE best tonewood out there. The red-ish kind (as in Yo 84) sounds a bit warmer and with less "sharp" attack than the yellow one, but it's also very pleasant to the ear (both are north american Red Alder, just different parts of the tree or different aging, locations, humidity etc., no idea).

I had several poplar axes and they definitely have their own sound, nothing like alder. Not my kind of tone either, in the end I sold all of them including the Peavey Vandenberg.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  11. Tuborgmann

Tuborgmann Kramer Maniac

Is the 84T pickup worth giving a shot in the guitar?

12. _xxx_

_xxx_ Kramer Kingpin

Definitely, I think it's actually a re-labeled Gibson 498T. Here's a little vid of mine from 2006 with the Yo 84, straight into the amp (Crate GT50):

13. KickstartMyHeart

KickstartMyHeart Kramer Kingpin

I have it in my Imp RI and it sounds awesome!

14. Tuborgmann

Tuborgmann Kramer Maniac

I just soldered it in there and it's amazing!

15. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Kramer Master

Funny, I've milled away all the alders and kept only poplar or maple guitars (except a couple of Les Paul's, anyway). Maple is great but poplar has a growl that I just can't get enough of!

16. _xxx_

_xxx_ Kramer Kingpin

Yeah, it is definitely a matter of taste :)